Miscellaneous mumblings on 2D stuff

Moderator: Dragst

Miscellaneous mumblings on 2D stuff

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:29 am

Hi you all.

I'm one of the graphics dudes involved in Triplane 2, doing mainly texture work for now. In the past, I've taken part in Draconus projects dating all the way back to 1996, the halcyon days when I first met Dragst & co.

Having been silent for about a year, I decided to give Dragst a call and have a chat about the current situation. So, here's the result :)

Anyways, as I said, I'm currently working on textures. Right now I'm finishing the bitmaps for a Japanese command tower.

The creation of such a model consists of three steps : first a concept artist prepares some skeches of the object, followed by modellers turning those into 3d objects. I step in in the last part, as I prepare the bitmaps that are rendered on the surface of the object. As amount of work, this is a lot more than if TT2 would have been a normal 2d-game as its predecessor.

Every step in the process has its own hurdles to overcome. The most tricky part is probably that of the modeller, as he must 'optimise' the model to have as little polygons as possible and still make it look good. The texturing is pretty straightforward actually, but it has a huge effect in the finished, in-game object. A perfect texture is one that hides all the compromises the modeller has taken in order to cut down the poly count and, well generally makes the whole thing look good. The textures made by different artists also have to 'fit together', which simply means that everyone has to obey the same style.

In practice, a texture is drawn using a 2d art package, such as PhotoShop (which I personally am not that keen of), usually with the help of a drawing tablet. I use a Wacom Intuos A4+.

All this might sound quite simple, but putting it all together does mean hours of work per object. And there are quite a few, as you will see when we are ready :)

Return to “Archived development announcements”