Bugs and other weird stuff in Triplane Turmoil II

Prattle and quarrel about the fictional WW1 arcade air-battle game
Solobbos
Rookie
Rookie

Bugs and other weird stuff in Triplane Turmoil II

Postby Solobbos » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:29 am

The roll state of your plane doesn't affect how your plane goes up and down.

Example:

Going right with wheels pointing down:

A = Climbing up
W = Falling down

Going left with wheels pointing up:

A = Climbing up
W = Falling down

When they should be inverted when the plane turns upside down.

Hopefully you understood what I meant.
Tumppi
Regular
Regular

Postby Tumppi » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:15 am

So the second the plane goes upside down, the controls should switch? If I got you right, I hardly think it would be a very good idea.
Raccoonbeast
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Raccoonbeast » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:24 am

Yes, I think it's meant to be like that.
Was ist los mit den rinkelit?
Sparrowhawk
n00b
n00b

Postby Sparrowhawk » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:09 am

I don't know how clearly that was expressed, but it was the way things were done in the original Triplane, and worked very well.

The problem, in other words, is that when you're flying wheels down left-to-right, the UP button takes you up. But, when you're flying wheels down right-to-left, the UP button takes you down. So the controls are inverted depending on which direction you're going, which doesn't seem to make much sense whatsoever.

The controls work just fine if you just turn around, but they switch if turn around AND flip, which makes me crash every time I'm trying to change direction without putting effort to thinking about it.

I don't want to sound like saying the game is bad after all these years of hard work - actually, it's looking just friggin' awesome! - but this one thing is making playing unnecessarily hard. Dragst, please say you're doing something about it in the "official" version (the one with Internet play an stuff).

And before I forget, congratulations for the release! Keep up the good work!

...AND, since this IS the bug-catching topic, the launcher looks funny. You can see that the actual buttons are in different places than where they apparently ought to be. I've had this problem with some other game though; could there be something wrong in my end?
Tumppi
Regular
Regular

Postby Tumppi » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:37 am

Oh yeah now I just really REALIZED what he meant! :) And quite right too, it was like that in the original TT
TZ
Scarred Veteran
Scarred Veteran

Postby TZ » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:49 am

I concur. And to list a few other weird problems I wish to see fixed:

- When your plane starts to stall and you manage to fix the stall, the screen jumps a bit to center on the plane again
- The text in the help thingy sometimes jumps wildly from a line to another for no apparent reason.
- The soldiers on the ground sometimes run without moving or collide to buildings. This looks rather silly.
- The game has an odd tendency to crash after the German third mission when attempting another mission.

Other than that, I'm glad to say that this is truly an amazing game and a worthy successor of the original one! Great work! And Dragst wasn't lying when he claimed that the game would be hard! Turns out that even I am having trouble with some of the missions!
The post above should not be taken seriously.
Tumppi
Regular
Regular

Postby Tumppi » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Yeah well I'm still stuck in the first german mission

I've also had the jumpy text and people running towards buildings. IMHO the graphics look a little outdated but the gameplay is perfect. I'm really enjoying watching my own plane crash in the most silliest of ways. :D

Didn't let us down one bit, I say! Sadly though I got a little meeting of my own today so I can't play all day :/

Oh and sparrowhawk, must be your resolution
Last edited by Tumppi on Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Narceh
Regular
Regular

Postby Narceh » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:05 pm

I'm a bit annoyed by how up/down control works now, as pointed out in this thread. I remember asking about it earlier, and was told (what I remember, anyway - no doubt Dragst or someone will explain properly here later on) that for one reason or another they couldn't make it work well in TT2 system. I don't know if it's because of 3D or what.

I'd prefer the original TT style control, but no doubt one can get used to this one as well. But for starters it's going to cause unnecessary crashing.
Narceh, aka Taalen for IRCnet

"Smile and be happy - it could be worse. So I smiled, I was happy - and it got worse"
Sparrowhawk
n00b
n00b

Postby Sparrowhawk » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:09 pm

Tumppi wrote:Oh and sparrowhawk, must be your resolution

Nah, I tried tampering with both my screen resolution and the game resolution. Didn't help.

I'm beginning to think the problem is my widescreen monitor (recommended resolution 1920 x 1200)... But, if no-one else is having this problem, the hell with it - it's not as if I actually have to use the launcher.

And, now that we started complaining... :)

- What's up with the clock in the bottom left corner? The Roman numerals from VII to XI are out of order. (Props for the devs, though, for writing 4 with IV instead of IIII.)

- Think I saw a soldier walking through an open hangar door once (yes, definitely ruined my day :P )

And now a sincere thank you for the devs of making the game hard as rock. Nowadays you see too many easy games made for people that just can't play. Fortunately, this is not the case here; Triplane II'll keep me playing for quite a time.

The 3D elements are interesting. Now I actually have to learn how to aim my bombs to hit ground targets instead of doing it the easy way I used in Triplane I.
Pokute
n00b
n00b

Postby Pokute » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:03 pm

About the controls, I remember when trying TT2 for the first time at a public TT2 showing, I messed up&down constantly, but that game time was only for a couple of minutes.

All the subsquent times after that, the control system felt perfectly natural, so much that I didn't even remember that they were different in TT1.

It's just that now buttons either make you do an counterclockwise or clockwise circle instead of turning towards the top of the plane or bottom of the plane.

The current control system doesn't even require you checking whether your plane flies upside down or not. Hitting the dirt because you didn't remember to check whether your plane was upside down is not possible now. You can clearly see whether your plane is flying towards left or right.

Also the default control system is reflected in this. The controls currently are something like A and D or 4 and 6 instead of W and S or 8 or 2 to disconnect it from image of turning up or down.
- Newbie4life -
Belford
n00b
n00b

Postby Belford » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:39 pm

The control system is quite good.

I've found 2 bugs:
- Planes' sounds disappear sometimes.
- I can't start a career. When I enter the first German mission, it says "Mission Over" on the top left corner. This pic is what I see first:
http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=missionoverwy7.jpg
Then it jumps to the mission stats screen.

Hopefully the full version works properly.
Sparrowhawk
n00b
n00b

Postby Sparrowhawk » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:11 pm

Yay, I got the controls now. One just needs to think differently. At first, I was feeling nostalgic and tried to use the same controls as I've used in Triplane I for years (= up & down = X & W). This was quite impossible, since you'd have to practically learn two different sets of controls and try to remember which one to use depending on which direction you're going. After I restored the up & down to their default settings (= D & A), I instantly got the hang of it. It's actually very good (though I kinda miss the classic Triplane controls). I'm beginning to have fun here!

Sorry for thinking that you'd released the game with such a major flaw :blush: .
Tumppi
Regular
Regular

Postby Tumppi » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:37 pm

didn't the classic TT also have A & D as rotation buttons? Or was it just my custom setup?
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:00 pm

Belford wrote:The control system is quite good.

I've found 2 bugs:
- Planes' sounds disappear sometimes.
- I can't start a career. When I enter the first German mission, it says "Mission Over" on the top left corner. This pic is what I see first:
http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=missionoverwy7.jpg
Then it jumps to the mission stats screen.

Hopefully the full version works properly.

Shit, this is bad. I'll try to fix it asap since that's on the same critical bug level than the crashing. The full version is the same system / script so I doubt it works. Of course, even if you buy the game now, a fix will be released sooner or later. Hopefully sooner ;)

Yes, there is a glitch in the audio system as well. Cosmetic, but it goes to the fix list nevertheless ;)

I am happy to hear, that people are getting into the new control scheme, slowly but deliberately! :) I was already considering writing a larger post about it, since I knew people will automatically use the tt1 controls... which quite doesn't work, as Pokute here wrote! B) Cheers!
Pahakurki
n00b
n00b

Postby Pahakurki » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:19 am

About the problems with the up/down config from triplane1:

I was having the same "problem" with the way the controls inverted when going in another direction, until Pokute pointed out on the irc-channel that I should be using the left/right keys for control instead. The reason I didn't even think of this was that the default controls for a gamepad have it the old triplane1 way, so i'm willing to bet that most of the people having problems with the controls are using a gamepad as well and simply don't notice this.

So maybe change the default config for joystic to left/right like the keyboard settings when you patch the game - should help the confusion with people who think it's supposed to be like triplane1 :)

Return to “Triplane Turmoil Series”