Bugs and other weird stuff in Triplane Turmoil II

Prattle and quarrel about the fictional WW1 arcade air-battle game
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:53 am

apeisa wrote:Thanks for your detailed answer. What comes to positive/negative feedback, we have to remember that players are not your boss, even if they pay (or not to pay) you money. They are customers, and customers feel they have right (or almost responsibility) to whine.

Of course. Then again, the customers are important, we don't make games (just ;)) for ourselves, but for others and of course the more people enjoy it the better!

I'm sure most people will understand new features and aspects of the game, after playing a little more time. Chancing controls to left&right is first thing to do. I first thought that this new controlling sucks, but after I chanced controls I was hooked immediatly. This new way is better. More intuitive. I also love the camera now, after I realised that going up is one important element in the game. I have flewn in real live (Vinka!) and I do know that you see much better if you get lots of height. And height is speed too... so it makes game more tactical. What comes to how camera works one can think it almost like fog of war in RTS-games :D

There you have it! :D Of course understanding the new features and so is not instant, especially these days when almost every game seems like just a copy of an old concept. Of course despite I take the responsibility for "enforcing" new, better (in my professional point of view) system perhaps we could have informed it somehow more clearly. One of those things you tend to forget when you develop something for couple of years :mad:

And what comes to me... well, I'm under 25 :) TT2 is first game in a long time I got interested and I hope that I will be someday playing it with my son (we went to second ultra yesterday, me and my girlfriend are having a boy in february) :D

Omfg! :D Congratulations for you and the missus!

Thanks again for your detailed answers. You just got my full respect as professional game designer (you got it already, but this goes to customer service side :D)

Wow, thanks! Hearing that warms my heart :) Of course we still have to show what we can do with more than "just" TT2 ;) We have already few interesting ideas, and I can assure you none of the games are any standard genre!
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:09 pm

Oh, ha ha. I forgot the hangar-return issue :razz:

The "slow" return was originally intented as a punisment from dying, since in TT1 people "skipped" by doing deliberate suicides and landing on wrong air strips etc. Now you can't "teleport" back to base when you realize you need to be there to defend it :O

It sometimes skips directly to the hangar, which is a bug... but actually, I left it unattended as a feature :D based on feedback, I might make changes into this system.
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:13 pm

And to clear things up, no, the "old system is easy to implement but hard to play" is false. The issue has nothing to do with easy/hard, but it was poor game play. If it makes the game harder or easier is only a causality from the poor control mechanics / scheme. You'll see (and hopefully believe >:D) if we implement it later.

If I'd had bad attitude, I wouldn't be writing hundreds of lines in here in attempt to help people to understand ;)

Stacking the 2-view split screen differently would be trivial to change/implement, why not. Our original idea was to keep the player windows in static locations, so for example player 2 will always know he's in right-lower corner. Could be an option later on. Hopefully some customization will be possible and implemented later when the more important things are fixed!

Keyconfig and apply button ideas are great and will be implemented asap!

Hangarmen stupidity is a quasi-bug, you could say. Saying that we forgot would be wrong, but it's about 50% true. My apologies.
Raccoonbeast
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Raccoonbeast » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:47 pm

When you have repaired these bugs and else, oh man what a game will TT 2 be! Even - just have to say it again - it is already!
Nothing else to say.. :D
Was ist los mit den rinkelit?
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:05 pm

So let's hope it happens sooner than later! ;)
Ye_CUG
n00b
n00b

Postby Ye_CUG » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:14 pm

Sparrowhawk wrote:...AND, since this IS the bug-catching topic, the launcher looks funny. You can see that the actual buttons are in different places than where they apparently ought to be. I've had this problem with some other game though; could there be something wrong in my end?

Hey there! I'm the responsible of the launcher. I saw your bug and tried to reproduce it every way I could but without success. Since I really want it to work on every computer I need your help. Can you tell me your Windows version, your resolution, your desktop settings (Font size and everything), your graphic card, your drivers and also can you tell me if you have some strange shell-modifying programs ? (I.e those things that put new stuff on the windows to make them look more awesome or useful)

Thank you in advance!

Tally ho!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Sparrowhawk
n00b
n00b

Postby Sparrowhawk » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:07 pm

The problem was actually guessed right by Dragst (and suspected by me, but I was too lazy to do the reboot required by the testing): large font size (in Settings > Advanced, not in Appearance). So, the launcher works well with 96 DPI fonts, but not with the 120 DPI mode I normally use (or bigger, I'd wager).

But FYI anyway, this is a WinXPHome v. 2002 with SP2, graphics card is ATI Radeon X800 GTO and screen resolution 1920 x 1200.

As stated previously, the problem only occurs when changing the dots-per-inch settings, but changing the font size from Appearances has no effect in one way or another.

I could also mention that there's nothing wrong with the launcher's "front page" in either DPI mode. Only the video and audio "subpages" are messed up with 120 DPI.

Now I'm going to reboot, can't stand watching all that awfully small text B) .
Ye_CUG
n00b
n00b

Postby Ye_CUG » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:08 pm

Sparrowhawk wrote:The problem was actually guessed right by Dragst (and suspected by me, but I was too lazy to do the reboot required by the testing): large font size (in Settings > Advanced, not in Appearance). So, the launcher works well with 96 DPI fonts, but not with the 120 DPI mode I normally use (or bigger, I'd wager).

O I C. Thank you very much dear sir, I owe you a coffee!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
dekstar
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dekstar » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:44 pm

OMG you lamers! I go away for a while and you release in my ABSENCE?!

Crazy, congrats and everything. I'ma buy it now.
smelly?
Raccoonbeast
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Raccoonbeast » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:48 pm

I found one unimportant bug, which belongs to bottom of your bug basket. This have happened only once, so it's very minimal problem.

I played with my big brother, and he partially crashed to ground. He touched the ground only a little and then his plane exploded and got burning.
But he still could to fly a while. So he flied with black and burning plane.
After few seconds the view got to home base and he took a new plane.
But the old plane still flied there, alone without a pilot. Then it disappered.

Just small bug, which only causes you more headache, but I decided to tell it.
Here's a link for a picture of the bug too: http://img486.imageshack.us/my.php?image=triplane2editoituif3.png
Was ist los mit den rinkelit?
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:11 am

Well... LOL :D I see I see, I don't think I've ever seen that one myself :) I'll see later on if we can do anything about it later.
Solobbos
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Solobbos » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:25 am

By the way, is the slow movement of the hangar guys one of the things that affect the game balance? I myself hate how slow the hangar guys are at fetching your plane and then again taking it out from the hangar. I crash my plane every now and then because I don't want to wait for the guys in the hangar to get my plane in, fixed and out again.

The fixing speed is good, but I think the hangarmen could be 150-200% faster than they are at the moment.

Of course you have an explanation that will ruin all my whining, but at least then I'll be content with the change. :P
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:13 am

Well, yeah. It's deliberate all right, and notice that you get penalized quite bad by crashing; not a good thing when considering the ladder ;)

The mechanics move just a little bit faster than the infantry; anything faster looked dumb :( It falls also under the category which puts more weight on survival than carnage (doom/quake/unreal).
Piipu
n00b
n00b

Postby Piipu » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:27 pm

Raccoonbeast wrote:I found one unimportant bug, which belongs to bottom of your bug basket. This have happened only once, so it's very minimal problem.

I played with my big brother, and he partially crashed to ground. He touched the ground only a little and then his plane exploded and got burning.
But he still could to fly a while. So he flied with black and burning plane.
After few seconds the view got to home base and he took a new plane.
But the old plane still flied there, alone without a pilot. Then it disappered.

Just small bug, which only causes you more headache, but I decided to tell it.
Here's a link for a picture of the bug too: http://img486.imageshack.us/my.php?image=triplane2editoituif3.png

I've had this same bug twice. Once on my computer, without any effects, and the second time on my friend's, crashing the game. Both were version 1.04.
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:31 pm

Oh okay. V1.05 has so much fixes and tweaks that it's hard to say if it's still happening ;)

Return to “Triplane Turmoil Series”