Issue, bug, feature and fix list

Prattle and quarrel about the fictional WW1 arcade air-battle game
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Issue, bug, feature and fix list

Postby Dragst » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:22 pm

Well, as usually when developing to PC platform, you get nasty suprises when you release something despite how well you try it on different computers.

Hopefully some of the problems can be fixed sooner or later. I also try to to share some information since some people are not able to make difference between a (tough) decision and a bug.

I will include also fixes and help into this post by editing it constantly, until we get the field manual up with the troubleshooting.

Real problems:

- (ISSUE) The game does not withstand alt+tab, or any other "lose-then-recover" things in full-screen mode.
Annoying, but not completely disasterous. Hopefully this will get fixed.

- (CRITICAL) I FORGOT TO IMPLEMENT PAUSE GAME :D

- ("FIXED") Few reports about not able to even launch the game
One possibility is that the openal32 is not correctly installed and/or the windows sound settings are wrong. Current version should be able to "roll-back" to no_sound mode.

This is of course only a one theory, we never expected "that much" anomalities and problems due openal...

If you have multiple monitors, please try disabling them and then trying again. I can assure we haven't programmed any computer reboots or similar in the engine or the game ;)

Please notice that blue screen usually is a DRIVER PROBLEM. Of course it doesn't mean we're safe here ;)

- (CRITICAL) Few reports about crashes after german 03

- (CRITICAL) Many reports of photographing not working properly.
Thanks for the info and screenshots, should help seeing what's wrong!

Pokute reported, that the picture worked correctly in lower resolution! Please try this if you can, and also...

If you have any problems related to graphics and/or crashing, please try lower resolution and window mode, for example. Reports about these issues with as much spesific information will be a great help, and much appreciated!

Also, make sure you have the latest drivers for not only the display adapter, but for example, if you are using a motherboard with an integrated audio card!

Please also try the game in window mode, and starting with -no_sound parameter! Some people reported this "helped"!

- (FIXED) Couple of report about the the career game being over in the beginning, thus rendering the career gaming not possible.

- (FIXED) In russian 2, the plane amount doesn't seem to reset when restarting the mission, thus usually rendering the objective impossible.

- (CRITICAL) With certain conditions you have only 1 ammo mat, but can still reload. Yes, it's critical even if it actually favours the player ;)

- (CRITICAL) Sometimes you collide "into" a building when doing downwards loop (I think) even if you aren't half-way close to it

- (CRITICAL) Report about the radad blip not changing opacity based on range
It does, or should. Need to implement a fall-back system, for example, size.

- (FIXED) The roster/ladder seems to be out of sync sometime, basically wiping out local scores :(

- (FIXED) The ladder account did not work correctly in the client's end if the callsign includes spaces.

- (FIXED) Full version authentication failed / No name visible in ladder

Gameplay:

- (NON-ISSUE) The controls have a bug!
Well now. It is funny, how people are concerned if tt2 is only a copy of tt1 with better graphics, and then end up complaining when it's NOT ;) The control roll issue is a complex one, and I want to point out that I originally tried to replicate the inverted controls when rolled.

It worked very, very poorly in this version, because the roll is not explicit, like in tt1. It is a tough decision, which I chose like this, because we got better feedback in the end with this system, believe or not ;) Trust me and my decision ability as a game developer in this one, please.

Edit: It appears people are getting use to the new scheme, great! :party:

- (ISSUE) However! As pointed out, the default controls for joystick are up/down instead of left/right.

- (FEATURE) Smoking is now too vague, can't know the damage taken.
In TT2 the trick is the sequence, not the amount. If you smoke only occasionally and short bursts, you're mostly okay. When you smoke constantly... you're in trouble ;) TT2 has no "hitpoints", by the way, only probabilities against armour and damage taken. This makes it much more unpredictable in general.

- (FEATURE) The camera is too close
No it isn't. The planes are supposed to fly in the sky in this one, and this element "enforces" this mentality. You've just used to tt1's megafullscreen mode where you saw the whole level ;)

- (NON-ISSUE) The bullets are not visible enough, the mechanics are too slow blah blah ;)
Everything is exactly as I have seen fit them to be. I'm not being egoistical in here, but pointing our that these kind of"silly bugs" is matter of personal preference, not a bug.
Implementing some kind of "fat bullets" mode would be a good idea. This would help the visibility on higher resolutions.

I'm sorry if "blah blah" sounded too sarcastic for some people, my apologies! :D

- (FEATURE) Game balance seems to be off, the AA / Infantry is way too powerful.
Please see above B) The idea in TT2 is to "stay" above approximately half-way the screen, instead of flying low. The dangerous ground targets emphazise this.

- It's too hard!
(Same as above ;)) Hardcore, baby! The anti-air is supposed to be dangerous, that aa-mg can tear you into shreds in a blink of an eye if you don't pay attention!

The point being, again it works differently than in tt1. Fly high, as you are supposed to do with an airplane, and make sure to bomb the emplacements first! When possible, of course ;)

Keep it up, and you'll be fine! Like in real-life, mastering and learning doesn't happen instantly!

- (FEATURE) Scrolling back to hangar upon death
This is actually a punishment for dying, and also an quasi-anti-cheat against instantly teleporting to your hangar, when you notice you have to be there quickly to defend your base. This was a common non-intented abuse in TT1, I think. This happens unfortunately with price of intensity, but then again; Now there is large contrast with the action due certain decided(!) slowness in things which doesn't involve direct combat (like exiting a hangar).

- (FEATURE) Plane-to-Plane collision, Kamikaze
See above.

- ("FEATURE") The mechanics are a bit retarded
Heh, yep. This is something close to a half-bug-half-feature. We probably will try to enchance it.

Cosmetic problems:

- (NON-CRITICAL) The help text wobbles randomly
I really thought I fixed it, since I originally didn't find anything wrong with it. I haven't managed to replicate this since week before the release.

- (NON-CRITICAL) The infantry sometimes cuts corners and is visible through walls, such as hangar
Unfortunately, yes. This is due collision map resolution.

- (NON-CRITICAL) Launcher's elements are misplaced
This happens when having custom DPI settings.

- (NON-CRITICAL) When recovering from stall, the camera jumps "back" hard.
Unable to replicate.

- (NON-CRITICAL) Sounds bug / engine sound disapperars sometime, especially in the levels with more planes

- (FIXED) The clock's last quarter and some more is b0rked

- (NON-CRITICAL) Even if you take zero ammo (0 mats) the machine gun has one mat loaded in it.

- (NON-CRITICAL) The plane is sometimes no on the runway, but levitating a bit in the air.
Last edited by Dragst on Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:24 am, edited 16 times in total.
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:57 pm

Also, I am sorry that we did not manage to implement the network gaming into the first version. I said this about a year ago already, and everybody wanted the game nevertheless.

In other words, stop whining about it ;) It doesn't mean we released this "broken" or anything related to network gaming. It was a decision. Not the easiest one, mind you, but at least many happy fans seem to have fun with the single player alone before the network game is released!
Solobbos
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Solobbos » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:17 pm

Getting used to the control system now. The game really starts to look like the very great game that I expected from it! Nice!

Although, I think that on the mission three with germans one should be able to tell what bases he has already captured in a photo. Sure, I could probably see it in the black/white-picture if it wouldn't mess up with my computer (look image below), but a simple menu on one side of the screen would rock. Like this:

Photographed:
[ ] Japan
[X] British
[ ] Russia
Etc.

Oh, and how does the photograph appear on my computer? Like this:

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/7793/triplanepictureft0.png
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:13 pm

Solobbos wrote:Getting used to the control system now. The game really starts to look like the very great game that I expected from it! Nice!

Whoo! :D

Solobbos wrote:Although, I think that on the mission three with germans one should be able to tell what bases he has already captured in a photo. Sure, I could probably see it in the black/white-picture if it wouldn't mess up with my computer (look image below), but a simple menu on one side of the screen would rock. Like this:

Photographed:
[ ] Japan
[X] British
[ ] Russia
Etc.

Well, it's not a bad idea, but the overall decision was to keep all the information and indicators away from the screen; part of the charm you see ;) This is why bombs, ammo, fuel etc are so "vaguely" pointed out instead of boring numbers like in every other game. The kills are the only number on the screen! :cheesy:
TZ
Scarred Veteran
Scarred Veteran

Postby TZ » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:44 pm

A rather unfortunate problem I am encountering is that the game crashes 75 % of the time I start a new mission. This never happens on the first time I start a mission after restarting the game, however.
The post above should not be taken seriously.
Solobbos
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Solobbos » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:15 am

Dragst wrote:Well, it's not a bad idea, but the overall decision was to keep all the information and indicators away from the screen; part of the charm you see ;) This is why bombs, ammo, fuel etc are so "vaguely" pointed out instead of boring numbers like in every other game. The kills are the only number on the screen! :cheesy:

Oh, I can live with that, it's ok. However, is the screen meant to look like this when you have taken the picture? http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/7793/triplanepictureft0.png

I see that sometimes the text doesn't even show up on the picture, telling "too high" or something else. Is this a bug?
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:41 am

Solobbos wrote:
Dragst wrote:Well, it's not a bad idea, but the overall decision was to keep all the information and indicators away from the screen; part of the charm you see ;) This is why bombs, ammo, fuel etc are so "vaguely" pointed out instead of boring numbers like in every other game. The kills are the only number on the screen! :cheesy:

Oh, I can live with that, it's ok. However, is the screen meant to look like this when you have taken the picture? http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/7793/triplanepictureft0.png

I see that sometimes the text doesn't even show up on the picture, telling "too high" or something else. Is this a bug?

Yes, it is a bug. The photo should be full-screen, and thus the text appears randomly on somewhere on the screen.
Solobbos
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Solobbos » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:04 am

Dragst wrote:Yes, it is a bug. The photo should be full-screen, and thus the text appears randomly on somewhere on the screen.

Oh, nice. I can wait for a fix to that. After that the quest will probably be as easy as pie. 8)
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:18 am

Hey, pokute told me that the photo worked correct in lower resolution... maybe this could be used as an immediate remedy?
Solobbos
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Solobbos » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:31 am

Dragst wrote:Hey, pokute told me that the photo worked correct in lower resolution... maybe this could be used as an immediate remedy?
Sure, I'll try that.

Although, it looks veeery nice in 1280x1024. :P

By the way, not sure if there's a compliment thread around anywhere, but on the view of demo content, I could really say that Triplane Turmoil 2 really turned out to be what I waited from it. I can really say that your work hasn't gone without it's reward! Congratulations on a job well done! :)
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:45 pm

Solobbos wrote:
Dragst wrote:Hey, pokute told me that the photo worked correct in lower resolution... maybe this could be used as an immediate remedy?
Sure, I'll try that.

Although, it looks veeery nice in 1280x1024. :P

I was talking about just the photographing missions ;)

By the way, not sure if there's a compliment thread around anywhere, but on the view of demo content, I could really say that Triplane Turmoil 2 really turned out to be what I waited from it. I can really say that your work hasn't gone without it's reward! Congratulations on a job well done! :)

Cheerio! :party: You're free to start such a thread! ;)
JJ45
n00b
n00b

Postby JJ45 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:44 pm

"Ohjelma on suorittanut laittoman toiminnon, ja se lopetetaan."

...is the error that I get whenver I start Triplane 2 or go to any menu. The game itself doesn't crash, EXCEPT if I press "launch", which closes the game in addition to popping out that error.

I restarted Windows XP, but that didn't help. A friend of mine told me he has this same problem...
Raccoonbeast
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Raccoonbeast » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:58 pm

Somebody has said this already, but the up/down/blaa control system works very well, when you put up and down to left and right buttons.
Just for clearance.
Was ist los mit den rinkelit?
Belford
n00b
n00b

Postby Belford » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:46 pm

Dragst wrote:- (CRITICAL) Couple of report about the the career game being over in the beginning, thus rendering the career gaming not possible.

Whoops, my bad. I got the career working with reinstalling the game. I already tried this once before writing about it, but for some reason it didn't turn out as well as now. Fixed now. B)
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:59 pm

Belford wrote:
Dragst wrote:- (CRITICAL) Couple of report about the the career game being over in the beginning, thus rendering the career gaming not possible.

Whoops, my bad. I got the career working with reinstalling the game. I already tried this once before writing about it, but for some reason it didn't turn out as well as now. Fixed now. B)

Strangeness, but GREAT!

Return to “Triplane Turmoil Series”