Crash in demo

Prattle and quarrel about the fictional WW1 arcade air-battle game
MaxEd
n00b
n00b

Crash in demo

Postby MaxEd » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:37 am

Whenever I try to start demo, it crashes with error: "Instruction at address 0x7c9111cd accesses memory at address 0x00000000. Memory cannot be "read". Changing resolution and windowed mode and/or switching audio on/off do not help. I've reinstalled demo, but it still fails. Also, I've checked DLL dependencies, but everything seems to be right.

I could not find any information about such error in forum, but if it is there and I, in my blindness, missed it somwhow, I would appreciate a link to solution :)

Additional information:
Hardware: Athlon 2000+, 1GB RAM, GeForce 6800.
Software: WinXP SP2
Maybe this problem has anything to with the fact that I have both Visual Studio 6.0 and Visual Studio 2005 installed on my PC?
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:52 pm

Greetings, MaxEd!

I'm sorry to hear you (too, heh) have trouble with launching the game. The only thing before we release the next patch I can think of is to try launching the game with -no_sound parameter from command line. At least that would pin point if the problem persists with the sound system (check the other thread about openal problems :O)

You seem like a really smart guy - big thanks for listing your hardware and so! - so I don't bother asking dumb questions like you having directx8 installer properly and dxdiag not giving any problems B)

I'll get back to this later, hopefully we can solve this as well!
MaxEd
n00b
n00b

Postby MaxEd » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:54 pm

Problem seems to be solved in quite a strange way: running game in Win95 or Win98 compatibility mode AND with main EXE (not launcher, but with sound) makes it work on my home computer at any resolution. Being a game developer myself, I can't see just HOW it can help a modern game, but...

Another problem surfaced, though: in TT2 screen flashes Magic Pink or green during loading (before menu or before mission), which is very annoying. Since I have GeForce 6800 both at home and at work, this bug could be related to this particular model of graphic card, but I think that more statistic is needed.
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:45 pm

MaxEd wrote:Problem seems to be solved in quite a strange way: running game in Win95 or Win98 compatibility mode AND with main EXE (not launcher, but with sound) makes it work on my home computer at any resolution. Being a game developer myself, I can't see just HOW it can help a modern game, but...

Well! As from another game developer I'd say: WTF! B) That certainly shouldn't have anything to do with it.

What's your company / group called, and what games have you done?

Another problem surfaced, though: in TT2 screen flashes Magic Pink or green during loading (before menu or before mission), which is very annoying. Since I have GeForce 6800 both at home and at work, this bug could be related to this particular model of graphic card, but I think that more statistic is needed.

Hmh. I haven't heard of this one yet, the spesific card _might_ have something to do with it... even though I can't say for certain. Also there is a possibility of some mixed dll:s, I remember you saying you have development stuff on your computer as well... At least few times I had problems with some large aaa titles as well, because of debug dx dlls, for example.
MaxEd
n00b
n00b

Postby MaxEd » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:45 pm

What's your company / group called, and what games have you done?

I'm currently working at Sibilant Interactive, a Russian GameDev company. It's (and my ;) ) first project will be MMORPG "W.E.L.L. On-Line". Also, a little shareware game by me and my friend is going to be released in a month or two.

Hmh. I haven't heard of this one yet, the spesific card _might_ have something to do with it... even though I can't say for certain. Also there is a possibility of some mixed dll:s

I'll check driver version today... Also, I'll try to put release DLLs from VS2005 into game's directory to see if this helps...

EDIT: Updated drivers and checked DLLs nothing helps. It's not much of a problem, thought, because screen only flashes pink on loading and not in game, so I can live with it.

Return to “Triplane Turmoil Series”