Unable to run full version 1.02

Prattle and quarrel about the fictional WW1 arcade air-battle game
alterego
n00b
n00b

Unable to run full version 1.02

Postby alterego » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:55 am

I'm running Win98SE on a 933MHz PIII with an oldish Geforce 2 video card.

v1.01 shareware works fine, but 1.02 full version fails to load properly. After a couple of Windows error messages (page fault in kernel32) we get the TT2 launcher screen, where the Video and Audio options report 'File not found' and the resolution and device options are blank. The launcher page is rendered correctly, though, and we get a little bit of a sound effect from the launch button before it all crashes again :-)

I thought maybe the demo and full versions were clashing, so have uninstalled and reinstalled the full version only, but with the same result. Is 1.01 still available, or is this a known problem with a fix?

My 8-year old son has been saving up for this game for weeks, so any help you can give would be appreciated...
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:28 am

Hello, and welcome to our forums!

My sincere apologies for having trouble with the latest version. Ironically though, 1.02 is much more stable and better optimized than 1.01 so I am quite suprised of reading it doesn't work as well as 1.01.

Can you try to launch the triplane2.exe with -no_sound parameter? There has been much issues with the openal audio library, and "File not found" is usually in the launcher how it manifests since it tries to call the executable in order to enumerate the options (like video modes and audio devices), but fails to do so. This far, almost always because of openal.

If nothing else helps, I will of course supply you with 1.01. I'm very happy to hear your son shows such interest on our game, these are the best moments as the game developer! :) I am certain we'll get the game working for you! Let's hope it's not about the geforce2 or win98...
alterego
n00b
n00b

Postby alterego » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:44 pm

Thank you - that certainly helps. The no_sound option works, and I got as far as the registration screen! That failed, but maybe for other reasons (unless it's a symptom, too).

If no_sound works, what should I do to correct it? Point me to the relevant discussion if this has already been dealt with.

BTW, I discovered after my first post that you specify 512Mb RAM (we have 256M, but plenty of swap space). I hadn't looked for this, as the demo ran OK, but I'll get more memory if I have to.. :-)
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:04 am

All right, so it means it's an OPENAL problem. The -no_sound removes all the audio from the game, which is of course not desirable in the end. All the users this far have managed to circumvent this problem however! To help you I'd kind of need to know which sound card or chip you have.

Could you describe more about that the failure about the registeration? I suppose you mean the initial screen where you are asked to enter your key. Make sure you let the request through your firewall, since the authentication requires an internet connection as it does it on our server.
alterego
n00b
n00b

Postby alterego » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:47 pm

Thanks again for your help. You were right about the firewall, so registration is now OK. :-)

The sound uses a built-in SoundMax chip (Analog Devices AD1881A). Let me know if you need any more info...
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:52 pm

I'm happy to hear the registeration was succesful! Sometimes the large problems have simple solutions, whew! :D Oh, by the way; I suggest joining the ladder as well, in http://ladder.draconus.com/ !

About the other problem, hmm.. okay so, please try this. I have to assume you know what you're doing, but considering excellent, and clear ability to describe problems and hardware, I think you most likely do :) In windows' system32 directory (should be c:\windows or so in your system) , try looking if you find a dll file called nvopenal.dll. If you find it, try renaming it and then trying the game normally without the -no_sound parameter. This has been the case with all previous users with the same problem. I can give a short description about this:

That file is nvidia's own openal mapper which - for some strange reasons - is found on some computers even when not having nvidia's display adapter (and, then again display adapters have nothing to do with audio, right? :O). The problem is, this file is using openal 1.1 (I think, heh), but openal has improved lately, and is version 1.2 these days. Therefore, it tries to use the old dll, but it is wrong version, and it crashes. This of course is a pity, I don't think it should crash in the case of old version... :razz:
alterego
n00b
n00b

Postby alterego » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:11 am

Thank you for your kind words, but I don't seem to have nvopenal.dll anywhere (perhaps that's the problem!). I've got nvopengl.dll several times...

However, I read some of the other posts here, and if I disable (rename) openal32.dll and wrap_oal.dll in the Triplane directory, I can select video and audio modes in the launcher, although 32-bit colour depths don't work. 16-bit is OK and usable, although I still get the 'invalid page' error after the launcher and again after quitting. I can live with this, but it would be nice to have it working as well as the demo.. :-)
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:56 am

Okay, in your case it might be that it needs the creative's openall dll, I'm not unfortuantely certain what it was called exactly again. If your desktop is set on 16 bits, and you're playing in window mode then of course the 32 bit modes cannot work right. If this isn't the case, it might unfortunately be because of the display adapter. 32bit mode requires a bit of memory though, and the full version has a bit larger requirements than the demo. Where exactly this "invalid page" error come up? Does it have any other peculiar behaviour, does it crash or...?

Don't touch nvopengl.dll, that's graphics stuff :)
alterego
n00b
n00b

Postby alterego » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:18 am

Many thanks again. I'll look for a copy of the Creative file...

The error message is here. It's the same both times (after the launcher closes and after quitting the whole program).

If openal32.dll and wrap_oal.dll are enabled, the main program crashes/gets skipped and the error message appears again.

WRT colour depth, I don't mind running in 16-bit. Does the demo do that anyway? I have Windows set to 16-bit because refresh rate is more important to me. Full-screen (which we prefer) is OK, too.

Sorry this is proving difficult. I'm sure you have better things to do!
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:57 pm

Not at all! I take great pride in trying to serve our customers to the extent of our resources, and in your case you have been very informative which makes all this rather easy, actually :)

Well, about this error. You mentioned something about "I don't mind", does it mean the game works other way, except for the crashing in start and beginning? Does this crash happen even with -no_sound? you might want to try -no_opening if it has something to do with the opening video / direct show...

About the screenmode, no, my point was just that IF your desktop is set on 16 bits, it does not have any effect even if you set it on 32 bit on the game options when running in window, since the window mode automatically forces the game bit depth to desktop depth :)
alterego
n00b
n00b

Postby alterego » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:23 pm

Thanks again! The game works perfectly with the no_sound option, apart from the obvious lack of sound. :-)

With openal32.dll and wrap_oal.dll disabled, the game works (with sound), but produces the error messages, which have to be closed. Livable with, but mildly annoying. Same result with -no_opening...

16-bit colour seems to be the limit even on full-screen, presumably because of memory or other resources. Our normal resolution is 1152x864. This isn't a problem.
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:05 pm

And the error messages appear only when you start and end the application?

If that's all, I'm happy to hear you're at least able to enjoy the game itself :) Naturally, I apologize the inconvience of the error dialogs; I'll keep this in mind if we could do something about it in the future again.

Happy Flying!
alterego
n00b
n00b

Postby alterego » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:40 pm

Thank you. If you find a fix for it, let me know, and I'll do the same (on here).

I much appreciate your knowledgeable help. Makes a pleasant change from the big companies who charge twice as much and don't understand the question... :-)

My son says thank-you, too. He loves the game!
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:57 pm

alterego wrote:Thank you. If you find a fix for it, let me know, and I'll do the same (on here).

I much appreciate your knowledgeable help. Makes a pleasant change from the big companies who charge twice as much and don't understand the question... :-)

My son says thank-you, too. He loves the game!

Thank you very much, hearing this makes me all fuzzy inside in a rather positive manner :) I'm really happy to hear that, it means much to me!

Please tell your son my regards, and stay tuned for more improvements and new games! ;)

Return to “Triplane Turmoil Series”