Thoughts, Ideas, and questions.

Prattle and quarrel about the fictional WW1 arcade air-battle game
Spud MOTS
n00b
n00b

Thoughts, Ideas, and questions.

Postby Spud MOTS » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:09 am

This is basically gunna be a long post about my thoughts on Triplane Turmoil 2.
Overall i feel that this is a very well made game. There are a few things that bug me though. Most of this is going to be based on what i see in the map Al Kaheed. As i think it is the most well made map of the bunch. This is because the infantry only go one direction, so i know which way to fly to support them. :P

1. "Task Force" Sizes.
Tasks forces seem to vary in size. In Al Kaheed each base sends out about 10-15 men to attack each other. After that, the Task forces dwindle to about 2-3 men a wave. I think that something needs to be implemented to keep the task forces larger. 2-3 men are really no threat to a plane or any guard towers/MG's

2. Infantry Movement.
This bothers me in a variety of ways. Mostly it annoys me when Infantry "Walk" through the water or over mountains that i cannot fly to. This happens on only very few maps (I will look around as i cannot quite remember the ones they are.) Also, it ticks me off when infantry walk outside the explosion radius of my bombs. And though ive pushed this argument before, it is almost impossible to strafe infantry, and i think that strafing infantry should be easier, making it an alternative to carrying bombs.

3. AI Planes
The AI is pretty decent in this game, but even on ace difficulty the AI will rarely shoot me down (unless im loaded up with bombs) They also tend to make one pass on you then go on to the next target. I think that they should make another pass on you if they damage you at all

Thats pretty much it for complaints. There are some things i think stand out about this game as well

1. Flight mechanics: I played TT1 and the planes were a horror to control. The bullets didnt seem like bullets, as they were being outrun, and flipping the plane flipped my controls too, making it difficult to fly. TT2 has a beautiful setup, and the slower pace makes dogfighting more controllable, and more fun. Bullets also fly faster making snapshots plausible.

2. The AAA emplacements.
These guys are the real enemy of the game. The AAA works extremley well and are fun to dodge, and fun to try to take out.

3. The missions
They are really hard, but when you beat one you get a definite sence of pride. The first russian mission took me a few hours to beat, but when i did i felt like i accomplished something.

And some questions

Headshots?
Me and my friends find that sometimes planes go down in 1-2 bullets. Is hitting the cockpit (where the head should reside) do more damage? Also, put a little man in there, would look kooler if i wasnt flying a "Ghost plane"

Could we change up the deaths a little.
When you shoot someone down, it looks cool, but i was thinking it would be cool to have one of the infantry jump out of your plane when you die (he would die apon hitting the ground) Or have spins rip off bits of your wings. (So you are spinning and like, the top wing flies off and falls like a peice of debris.)

and lastly: ETA on multiplayer?
I know its been asked a million times, but i am dying for multiplayer. it will renew my intrest in this game.

Answers, thoughts or comments are welcome!
Spud, Master of the Skies!
guabe-guabe
n00b
n00b

Re: Thoughts, Ideas, and questions.

Postby guabe-guabe » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:59 am

I am in favor of adding more death sequences. As you are watching planes fall constantly, it would really spice up the game.
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:48 pm

Thanks for the big feedback!

Spud MOTS wrote:1. "Task Force" Sizes.
Tasks forces seem to vary in size. In Al Kaheed each base sends out about 10-15 men to attack each other. After that, the Task forces dwindle to about 2-3 men a wave. I think that something needs to be implemented to keep the task forces larger. 2-3 men are really no threat to a plane or any guard towers/MG's

It's only a matter of tweaking two values: How fast the base gets new reinforcements and which is a minimum value of task force size. Apparently it seems the task force is launched early if only 2-3 men is sufficient and I could tweak it in that map for the next version :) I agree completely 2-3 men in task force is barely a task force at all ;)

2. Infantry Movement.
This bothers me in a variety of ways. Mostly it annoys me when Infantry "Walk" through the water or over mountains that i cannot fly to. This happens on only very few maps (I will look around as i cannot quite remember the ones they are.) Also, it ticks me off when infantry walk outside the explosion radius of my bombs. And though ive pushed this argument before, it is almost impossible to strafe infantry, and i think that strafing infantry should be easier, making it an alternative to carrying bombs.

Unfortunately I say still no to strafing; the whole game balance was built upon the change of not being super-deadly for infantry anymore (versus tt1, where infantry is barely nothing more than a small bonus since you could kill them so easilly with your guns).

I'm not sure what you mean by the "walk outside the explosion radius", do you mean that when they walk so far from the "game z" (where you fly) that you can't bomb them? If that's what you mean... well, tough luck ;)

If the strafing or generally getting rid of the infantry would be easier many of the missions wouldn't have been possible at all as they are now; they would be mostly about just gunning down the infantry in a limited timeframe and I wasn't exactly keen on anything that simple. "Realism" - even though I'm using it very loosely on this game - was the catch with the infantry; they can get to places where you can't go into, and you can't get rid of them easilly, just like it was in real WW1.

3. AI Planes
The AI is pretty decent in this game, but even on ace difficulty the AI will rarely shoot me down (unless im loaded up with bombs) They also tend to make one pass on you then go on to the next target. I think that they should make another pass on you if they damage you at all

I agree, but sometimes the AI decides to switch into an easier target. The game just doesn't revolve around you alone :)

1. Flight mechanics: I played TT1 and the planes were a horror to control. The bullets didnt seem like bullets, as they were being outrun, and flipping the plane flipped my controls too, making it difficult to fly. TT2 has a beautiful setup, and the slower pace makes dogfighting more controllable, and more fun. Bullets also fly faster making snapshots plausible.

Thanks! :) I like the bullet model in TT2 over TT1 as well, even though some people say the "fun" is gone in TT2 since it's slower and more realistic versus the frantic arcade game play of the first game.

2. The AAA emplacements.
These guys are the real enemy of the game. The AAA works extremley well and are fun to dodge, and fun to try to take out.

And funny thing is we got some much complaints about them first, since nobody seemed to understand how to avoid them properly ;) I personally think we managed to balance them very well!

3. The missions
They are really hard, but when you beat one you get a definite sence of pride. The first russian mission took me a few hours to beat, but when i did i felt like i accomplished something.

And that's how it was supposed to be! Which is also why the game will last much much longer than your standard game which you pay 50e for a smorgasbord of visual candy. The fan base wanted the missions to be harder than in the first game so, well, there it is ;)

Headshots?
Me and my friends find that sometimes planes go down in 1-2 bullets. Is hitting the cockpit (where the head should reside) do more damage? Also, put a little man in there, would look kooler if i wasnt flying a "Ghost plane"

Ach, I agree on the little man in the cockpit, something we just honestly "missed" :( I'm sorry but I'll leave the headshot thing as a mystery! >:D

Could we change up the deaths a little.
When you shoot someone down, it looks cool, but i was thinking it would be cool to have one of the infantry jump out of your plane when you die (he would die apon hitting the ground) Or have spins rip off bits of your wings. (So you are spinning and like, the top wing flies off and falls like a peice of debris.)

Hmm, well, honestly it sounds like nice extra but I'll be frank with you; It would demand so much extra work that most likely we're not putting our resources into that at least not right now.

and lastly: ETA on multiplayer?
I know its been asked a million times, but i am dying for multiplayer. it will renew my intrest in this game.

Asap, I'm sorry to say we failed to supply it for christmas which was our original plan all the way. It's quite playable already, but until it's perfect we won't release it. Keep following the forums/dev blog and I'll do my best to inform the fan base as often as I have something new to mention :)

Thanks once more for the feedback, both good and bad! B)
Independent Game Development
http://www.draconus.com/
Spud MOTS
n00b
n00b

Postby Spud MOTS » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:10 am

Dragst wrote:
It's only a matter of tweaking two values: How fast the base gets new reinforcements and which is a minimum value of task force size. Apparently it seems the task force is launched early if only 2-3 men is sufficient and I could tweak it in that map for the next version :) I agree completely 2-3 men in task force is barely a task force at all ;)

This may happen in more maps than just al kaheed. I dont know.

Unfortunately I say still no to strafing; the whole game balance was built upon the change of not being super-deadly for infantry anymore (versus tt1, where infantry is barely nothing more than a small bonus since you could kill them so easilly with your guns).

I'm not sure what you mean by the "walk outside the explosion radius", do you mean that when they walk so far from the "game z" (where you fly) that you can't bomb them? If that's what you mean... well, tough luck ;)

If the strafing or generally getting rid of the infantry would be easier many of the missions wouldn't have been possible at all as they are now; they would be mostly about just gunning down the infantry in a limited timeframe and I wasn't exactly keen on anything that simple. "Realism" - even though I'm using it very loosely on this game - was the catch with the infantry; they can get to places where you can't go into, and you can't get rid of them easilly, just like it was in real WW1.

](*,)

I agree, but sometimes the AI decides to switch into an easier target. The game just doesn't revolve around you alone :)

I just think the AI should be less scatterbrained. If you put 4 bullets into the enemy, you dont fly by him and attack someone else, you turn around and blow him to peices.

Thanks! :) I like the bullet model in TT2 over TT1 as well, even though some people say the "fun" is gone in TT2 since it's slower and more realistic versus the frantic arcade game play of the first game.

Ive always been a realistic flight junkie.

Ach, I agree on the little man in the cockpit, something we just honestly "missed" :( I'm sorry but I'll leave the headshot thing as a mystery! >:D

:onfire: (i just like that guy)
Also... :S

Hmm, well, honestly it sounds like nice extra but I'll be frank with you; It would demand so much extra work that most likely we're not putting our resources into that at least not right now.

Completley understandable. Just a suggerstion for when you are sitting around your house with nothing to do:P (finish multiplayer first though)

Asap, I'm sorry to say we failed to supply it for christmas which was our original plan all the way. It's quite playable already, but until it's perfect we won't release it. Keep following the forums/dev blog and I'll do my best to inform the fan base as often as I have something new to mention :)

its cool man. I think you should give us an Email list or summit so when patch 1.06 goes out we get an email that says "You! TT2 Has multiplayer!!!"

Thanks once more for the feedback, both good and bad! B)

Was my pleasure! I love this game, it is a blast with friends, (though i only have 2 friends who will play with me, leaving team games out for the moment) It has been steadily improving over time, and i await the multiplayer
-Spud
I know the quotes are all messed up... I hates quotes.

I fixed the quotes for you. Ha ha ha! Mine is an evil laugh!
- TZ
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:31 pm

Thanks to you both! :)

Spud, if you live in south Finland you can attend some of our "gaming nights" where I assure you would have no problem of getting someone to play TT2 with you, me included ;) Actually even if you don't you can, but of course if you live relatively near by it's much easier ;)
Independent Game Development
http://www.draconus.com/
Spud MOTS
n00b
n00b

Postby Spud MOTS » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:33 am

I live in Canada, So no luck there
:P, it would be fun though
Dragst
Crew