Linux port?

Prattle and quarrel about the fictional WW1 arcade air-battle game
Middlerun
n00b
n00b

Linux port?

Postby Middlerun » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:20 am

I think I know the answer to this, but is there any chance there will ever be a Linux version of TT2? Having to reboot into Windows is a bit of a pain.

I'm new here BTW. Just got the game on friday, really awesome stuff.
Leave no turn unstoned.
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Re: Linux port?

Postby Dragst » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:52 pm

Hello there, thanks for your patronage and welcome to ze boards! Happy to see some Australian fans in here too :)

Well, linux port is a bit of a tough question. I'd love to see tt2 on mac and linux but one of the main problems is that the game runs on directx which - as you all know - is completely winblows exclusive :( In theory the game code has originally been developed with porting in mind so that alone might not be as large operation but considering our really, really low resources in general... I wouldn't promise it. I don't say NEVERS! but I'd say please don't hold your breath either :-k

Our first and "only" priority right now with TT2 is the damn network game, after that it's a possibility we do some actual research if porting it would be feasible in a realistic time-frame.
Independent Game Development
http://www.draconus.com/
termospulla
n00b
n00b

Postby termospulla » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:26 pm

The game already runs almost perfectly on Linux with wine,except that I can't see the smoke coming from my plane or the AA cannon shots. :(
An ability to run it on OpenGL would be awesome. :cheesy:
BUT DON'T DO IT BEFORE MULTIPLAYER!

TT2 on wine appdb
dekstar
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dekstar » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:04 pm

How's the network gaming coming along by the way Dragsty?
smelly?
Dragst
Crew
Crew

Postby Dragst » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:25 am

Good and bad to be honest :) During this last 6 months not much has happened on the game dev side as I previously mentioned in one devblog post but things are starting to catch up some speed again. We're actually currently searching a digital distribution deal for the game and it will be very, very likely they require the online game working as well so we all win if you put up an equation from that ;)

Nice to hear it works with wine! TT2 starts to be so "old technology" I very much doubt we'll rewrite the core to port it so unless something really strange happens, I doubt there will ever be official port of TT2 to Mac/lunix. Maybe if we release the source someday... :)

Anyway, I've been rewriting some of our tech and framework from scratch just lately and hopefully the next version will more or less automatically work with mac and linux as well. I really hope so, there's a huge market in there especially on mac.
Independent Game Development
http://www.draconus.com/
dekstar
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dekstar » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:26 am

Please please PLEASE let the distribution platform be Steam. VALVe seem really good at getting indie stuff out there to the masses.
smelly?

Return to “Triplane Turmoil Series”